Eric Boehlert sums up the sorry state of affairs. The right-o-sphere has really been eating their feet lately, and all of their pathetic weaknesses have been on display for the world to see. The mindless character assassination of anybody who gets in Bush II’s way, the shoddy research, the complicitness of the party as a whole as politicians carry water for the hatemongers who carry water for them.
But the whole messy slime offensive against the Frost family came as no surprise to anyone who follows Malkin and her army of true believers. As I detailed last winter and spring, they’re most dangerous when they accidentally bump into some facts and suddenly think they’re Woodward and Bernstein.
The irony, of course, is that radical-right bloggers despise journalists and claim they’re dishonest, biased, and even treasonous. But when the bloggers try to become journalists themselves, when they try (sort of) to report out a story like the supposed Frost blockbuster, the bloggers prove themselves to be comically incompetent as they publish falsehoods, connect nonexistent dots, cherry-pick information, and generally make fools of themselves.
As Boehlert notes, much of this emanates from the true godfather of the modern Republican Party, Rush Limbaugh. A serial bloviating idiot, opportunist, and outright liar who never lets anybody pin him down or hold him accountable, Limbaugh has molded one of our country’s two political parties in his image, and they know it:
It wasn’t just bloggers who rushed to Limbaugh’s defense, it was also key leadership members of the Republican Party. It was presidential contenders Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney. It was Senate Republican Conference chairman Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ). It was House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH) and his number two, Roy Blunt (R-MO), along with fellow Reps. Mike Pence (R-IN), Scott Garrett (R-NJ), and Marsha Blackburn (R-TN), who supported legislation that commended Limbaugh following his “phony soldiers” crack, and Eric Cantor (R-VA) who unveiled a Stand With Rush e-petition, urging “conservatives around the country” to fight for Limbaugh.
Anyway, read the whole thing, it’s way too illuminating to capture here, with tons of good linkage. Boehlert mentions that Limbaugh is seen favorably by 26% of Americans, the hardcore right. Give pigs like him and his little runts like Malkin the sunshine treatment, I say. Let people really see how ugly these pathetic propagandists are. Let the other 74% of Americans say, “Boy, not only do I hate these people, but I would find anybody defending them to be discrediting themselves!” Limbaugh, Malkin and their ilk should be one big, giant, as John Cleese would say, “Albatross!”